How to Download This Book
You can download a PDF of the book, if desired, to reference it offline.
How to Navigate This Book Online
To navigate through this book online, you can:
- click the “Contents” drop-down to the left to find a specific chapter
- use the arrows at the bottom right and left of your screen to scroll through page by page
- use the links in the Table of Contents below to jump right to a specific section or recipe
- use the “Search in book” field in the upper right of the page to search by keyword
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Introduction
- What is asynchronous learning?
- Why should I use asynchronous activities in my course?
- Why did we make this cookbook?
- Discipline-specific concerns
Chapter 2: Some Key Concepts
- Preparing students to engage in asynchronous learning
- Framing learner engagement with the Community of Inquiry Model
- Creating accessible materials
- But there are so many tools! How do I choose?
Chapter 3: Group and Team Work in Asynchronous Settings
- Laying the Groundwork – Assigning Self-Assessments
- Building Connections – Establishing Communication Channels and Protocols
- Failure to Plan is a Plan for Failure
- Assume Positive Intent
Chapter 4: Discussion Activities
Chapter 5: Mapping Activities
Chapter 6: Games
Chapter 7: Simulations & Labs
Chapter 8: Writing, Storytelling, and Publishing
Chapter 9: Presentations